[Translators-l] Wikidata weekly newsletter translation

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jun 22 14:16:43 UTC 2014

The only concern is that Wikidata is a single wiki and not all users on a
given wiki will be concerned (except for adding interwiki links but
technically ll is done on this subject). The rest is about data that will
be used by tricky templates and whose readers would be more technical users
than usual.

So if you add things about Wikidata, this should be generic enough to
interest most people (notably contributors writing articles) and not just
developers of tricky templates using Wikidata; such things could include
some technical issues to discuss about translation and localisation of this
data, creation of Wikidata user groups interested in some projects (such as
adding reference IDs or supporting the integration of some data related to
GLAM collections).

If this is just to discuss about migration of ontologies, and this does not
require a large participation (if this can be done essentially by bots),
then I think that these technical news should remain on Wikidata (and use a
separate distribution for real developers of Wikidata): nothing forbids
duplicating an announcement on both letters, but typically the annoucement
in Tech News should be much shorter than the Wikidata technical news. If
the tech news is just about the change of support of specific extensions
used only by Wikidata, this should not be in Wikimedia Wiki Tech news which
are really cross-project and should interest most users of Wikimedia sites
contributing pages (and that's why the VisualEditor takes a good place in
these Wikimedia Tech News).

Note also that most news related to Meta-Wiki and policies (or financement
campaigns, or elections in the WMF comitees) are handled in a separate
messaging system (currently using the old "Goings-on" system that should
evolve later after the Main Page will be really fully translatable with the
Translate tool) : they are also announced not primarily by MassMessage but
by global site notifications (but some users may opt to receive these
Wikimedia notifications by mail, notably for things like new global
policies or guidelines, or opening of a new Wikimedia content project).