[Translators-l] [Wikitech-ambassadors] Please help translate and distribute: New tech newsletter (2013, week 21)

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Fri May 24 07:04:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it really effective to paste such huge amounts of (English) text and HTML
> on village pumps etc.? Won't you just make people redirect the bot to a page
> nobody looks at to get rid of it?

The distribution list is opt-in, and the people who signed up did so
after seeing the first edition, so I'm assuming they're fine with the
English text and HTML.

I thought about "just" posting a notification and linking back to the
content on meta, but in my experience people prefer to get the content
directly on their page (or e-mail) without having to do an extra
click.

That said, I still want to keep the text short, and to reduce the use of HTML.

> Perhaps transclusion would work better, we used it in the past:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_notifications

Oh, this is interesting. I didn't know about this tool. Is it still maintained?

I'm not sure I understand yet how this system works. I think what we
really want in the end is either cross-wiki notifications or
cross-wiki transclusion.

--
Guillaume Paumier