[Translators-l] Two requests in preparation for the upcoming deployment of MediaWiki 1.19

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 13 20:04:58 UTC 2012

Yes, some classification and cleanups, plus several successive
attempts to avoid superpositions of RTL texts (notably Arabic) on top
of the TOC positioned on the right. This is solved now.

The template also did not allow to display the link to the meta page
for all languages, despite those links were equally valid. I made it
coherent about all of them, independantly of their status, and this
will also help admins to transfer the contents edited on the main
page, to the message translation interface for each language, without
having to type or tweak an URL, speeding up this process for the
admins, as well as allowing translators to see (and signal) those
available translations that have not been transfered.

I also added the available aliases used for language codes, and that
are currently sorted within the same language section.

I also sorted a few sections that were disordered, without deleting anything.

Finally I added some notes that will help you in case translations are
not ready in time (because the default English fallback will be worse
than a fallback to another similar language, or another primary
language used in the same area where a secondary language is used).
E.g. there's still no Breton translation, but most Breton translators
and contributors on the Breton edition of Wikipedia also understand
French : they  will understand and accept the available fallback
notice in French better than the fallback notice in English that would
be installed on the "dead line" where the notice must be displayed.

Of course, you may have objections to the choice of these fallbacks,
so feel free to update them again. There are also still a long list of
languages used for Wikipedia editions for which there's no language
section (but for which there's already a support in the translation
extension of MediaWiki installed on Meta or on TranslateWiki.net).

Those prefered fallbacks for minority or secondary languages should be
known and made visible to admins, even if there's no translation for
them.

-- Philippe.