[Translators-l] Translations wanted for January 2012 Wikimedia Highlights

Niklas Laxström niklas.laxstrom at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:27:52 UTC 2012

On 13 February 2012 15:44, Tilman Bayer <tbayer at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Niklas Laxström
> <niklas.laxstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11 February 2012 06:56, Tilman Bayer <tbayer at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>> See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate for
>>> instructions about the Translation extension on Meta, which we are
>>> continuing to use for this issue with the help of Siebrand.
>>
>> Btw any feedback about the new user documentation is appreciated.
> I think it's a huge improvement!

Thanks!!

>>> As in recent months, it is planned to announce the translations (i.e.
>>> those which have been completed at that point) on the general
>>> Wikimedia announcements list Wikimediaannounce-l, on Wednesday
>>> February 15. We have also started to post them as language-targeted
>>> updates of the official Wikipedia Facebook account, which reaches a
>>> large audience.
>>
>> Getting that page translated and proofread in just few days is almost
>> impossible for us, so we never make that deadline.
> I'm not sure what "that page" and "we" refer to here. The timespan is
> roughly the same as the one that was given in the announcements for
> the September, October, November and December "Wikimedia Highlights"
> on this list. And most of the previous translations were in fact done
> within just a few days. At the moment, two days before the given date,
> five translations for the current issue are already 100% complete. Of
> course translations continue to be welcome after that announcement,
> it's just that they won't benefit from the added attention that comes
> with it.

The Finnish translation team is very small. When there are only few
days to translate it, I don't even have the chance to request help in
our weekly chapter meeting. Thus Finnish can never benefit because we
are too slow. OTOH the chapter (me) publishes the highlights when they
are ready on WMFI's facebook page where we have mighty 50 fans and
also in the monthly member newsletter (under 50 recipients).

  -Niklas

> An alternative would be to announce each translation separately as it
> is completed, but one has to be mindful of the readers of
> Wikimediaaanounce-l, who signed up to a list which is meant to be low
> volume/high relevance.

Does it make sense to do that in two batches, to publish after a ~week
and ~2 weeks the translations that are newly ready?
  -Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström