[Translators-l] Translation credit

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 08:05:31 UTC 2011

Hi,
I guess we don't have a written form policy of credit or even common
one. My recommendation for wmf editors who publish the translation
from meta to wmf site
is using [[meta:special:Import]] for moving the files to wmf site
which enables us
to preserve the original history, but sometimes it takes a time and I
understand not always it hasn't be kept.

Another solution, I believe once Wing suggested too, might be putting
the translators' credit on the page in a much more visible way, not
only relying history page alone, but it has not been taken into
serious consideration to implement ... yet.

What do you guys think the latter solution?
Is anyone (preferably a MW developer) interested in?

Cheers,

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Benny <bknliem at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, forgive me for asking this, but what's the policy for crediting a translation? For example, the Indonesian landing page is http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WMFJA026/id  With a little research we can find that the source is http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:2010/JimmyLetterK/id, but when you look at it's history, there's no link to the actual translation page, i.e. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Jimmy_appeal_2/id, thus it seems that Klyman is the one who did the translation. I suppose he should've at least mention where the translation was taken from. Or is there another rationalization?

> Regards,
> benny

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp