[Translators-l] test the editor survey

Casey Brown lists at caseybrown.org
Sat Apr 9 17:33:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> 1. Maybe language selection menu would contain native language names. (or
>> like NativeName (EngName), ex. suomi (Finnish))
>
> This is important, because if someone picks the wrong language by
> mistake, then all the names are written in that language! If you pick
> Hebrew, by mistake, then to go back to English, you'll have to decide
> whether it's אנגלית‎, עברית‎ or פינית. It's not a feature, it's a bug.

I agree with this and have always hated it, but I'm not sure if this
is possible in LimeSurvey.

>> 2. Maybe automatically language selection based on browser settings?
>
> ... That, or the language of the project from which the respondent came.

That's how it will be setup.  They will arrive at the translation
request through the CentralNotice and the CN will pass their interface
language.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> I'm sorry for bringing this up at such a late point, but I *strongly*
>> urge you to make questions regarding personal information optional.
>> Currently information like age, level of education, enrollment in in
>> school or university, employment, having children, nationality and
>> gender are *required* in order to go on with the survey.
>>
>> I can absolutely guarantee for German Wikipedia that there will be an
>> outcry if users are forced to surrender their personal information in
>> order to participate. User will either boycott the survey or enter wrong
>> information, if they dislike it.
>> German Wikipedians are very keen on privacy and surveys like this one
>> have been boycotted in the past.
>>
>> (Just making a tactical suggestion, I'm not saying that all those
>> concerns by the community are justified)
>
> I completely agree. Most likely it is true for Wikipedians from all
> cultures: some of us are very open, but many of us are very private.
>
> These questions must not be required.

Can you please make a list of what questions you think fall under this
category?  We've already made a few optional (as you must have seen),
but we need to know which ones.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023