No subject

Fri Dec 10 13:58:20 UTC 2010

rustrating and disappointing experience. Despite my best efforts we=0Adid n=
ot receive a completely translated central banner=0Ain Welsh and clicking o=
n the central banner=0Anever took us to the Welsh language version of the d=
onation landing page, at=0Aleast for the vast majority of cy users, those l=
iving in the UK.=0A
=0A
=0ATo describe in detail:
=0A
=0ATranslation links for translators
=0AThis year you decided not to include translation links from the central =
notice=0Ato meta because this was drawing people away from the donation lin=
k. I'm not=0Ataking issue with that decision. As you know the disadvantage =
of this is that=0Apotential translators do not know where to translate, whi=
ch is potentially=0Aaggravating for those users (of which more below). One =
way of mitigating this=0Adifficulty would have been to post on the communit=
y page an invitation and link=0Ato the translation tab of the Fundraiser 20=
10 hub, specifically inviting users=0Ato translate, when the campaign went =
permanently live. Assuming that the=0Acentral banner will lack the translat=
ion links=0Anext year too I recommend you do this next year.
=0A
=0AThe link to the fundraiser translation which was included as a banner=0A=
on meta was very useful by the way - please can we have this next year too.
=0A
=0Ai-10n issues
=0AIt does not appear that i-10n issues were considered during the preparat=
ion and=0Atesting of the fundraiser either at Wikimedia Foundation or at an=
y of the=0Achapters. Each chapter had its own landing pages with its own me=
ssages. No=0Amechanism was put in place to allow all language wikis within =
the geographical=0Aarea of the chapter to localise these chapter-specific m=
essages. It was only=0Awhen this issue was raised by the wikis affected tha=
t this was addressed. Casey=0Abrown set up some translated pages for indivi=
dual combinations of=0Alanguage/chapter, at their request. This was done on=
 an ad hoc basis, it being=0Adown to each language wiki to understand the p=
roblem and request action. This=0Aissue was discussed on the l-translators =
list but not all translators subscribe=0Ato the list (especially not those =
who are first-time translators at meta). I=0Arequested that somebody who kn=
ew the ins and outs of this issue write some=0Ageneral advice about this on=
 meta itself. I was disappointed that my request=0Awas not answered.=20
=0A
=0AI recommend that when further action is needed by translators, to get th=
eir=0Atranslations applied, then notes about this should be posted where we=
 are=0Alikely to see them - such as on the relevant translation pages at me=
ta.=20
=0A
=0AImage format
=0AAfter having translated various messages specific to Wikimedia UK=0Aand =
Casey Brown having published them it was still not possible to see them=0Ab=
ecause of a technical issue with the banner,=0Aapparently caused by its bei=
ng done as an image on Wikimedia UK.=0AAs I understand it the image format =
performed better during the testing and so=0Awas chosen. No consideration w=
hatsoever had been given to the issue of=0Alocalisation of image formats.
=0A
=0AUnfortunately it appears that there was only one person at WikiMedia UK=
=0Awho was in a position to create the correct banner=0Aimages with 'Read N=
ow' localised and linking to the localised WikiMedia UK=0Alanding pages. Th=
is one person was unfortunately too busy to do this as I=0Aunderstand it. I=
 had hoped that we would get this done by Christmas=0Abut it never was done=
. I am quite disappointed that my last e-mail of concerning=0Athis has stil=
l not been answered, leaving me still in the dark to some=0Aextent.=A0 In a=
ny case he would have had to attend to each language=0Aindividually, meanin=
g that only those languages requesting this would have been=0Aable to be fi=
xed.
=0A
=0APlease make sure that you use localisable formats in future.
=0A
=0ADisregard of non-state language wikis
=0AI guess that the amount of money that you could raise from the wikis of=
=0Anon-state languages is usually small so from the point of view of an eff=
icient=0Afund-raiser all this is unimportant. But from my point of view fun=
draiser=0Acentral notices appearing wholly or partly in a language which is=
 not the wiki=0Alanguage are counter-productive. Rather than encouraging us=
ers to donate they=0Adiscourage donation. You did not receive a donation fr=
om me this year, as I was=0Awaiting to be able to do this via the central b=
anner.=0A
=0A
=0AWorse than that however is that these central notices appearing in Engli=
sh or=0Astate languages are intrusive and alienating, and in my opinion dam=
age these=0Awikis. It creates a them and us mentality, reinforcing the view=
 that the users=0Aof these wikis do not 'own' them. Usually central notices=
 are translated=0Aquickly by me to avoid any appearing in English. It was v=
ery frustrating to do=0Amany hours of work on the fundraiser, only for most=
 of it not to appear via the=0Acentral banner.=A0 The whole experience was=
=0Avery discouraging.
=0A
=0ANext year=0A=0AI write all the above in the hope that next year's=0Afund=
raiser can be improved. I realise that all involved, volunteers and paid=0A=
staff, are working under a lot of pressure and that there was no intention =
to=0Aaggravate the readers and translators of the smaller wikis.=A0 Some of=
 the=0Asmaller wikis do not have enough manpower to translate all the stuff=
 produced=0Aby WMF, either in a timely fashion, or at all.=A0 It was a sham=
e that=0Atechnical issues prevented the=A0 hard work of those of us who did=
 translate=0Athe fundraiser from being put to use. Since I know that I was =
not the only=0Aperson who had difficulties this year I am copying this mess=
age to the=0Atranslators-l list.
=0A
=0ARegards,
=0AEleri James (Lloffiwr), Wales=0A=0A