[Translators-l] [Fundraiser 2009] Translations

Hanna Björk sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 20:39:04 UTC 2009

2009/11/6 Mariano Cecowski <marianocecowski at yahoo.com.ar>:
> Guys, there's something weird in the English text:
>
> * Number of Wikipedia articles (in millions).
> * 14 million
> * 25 million
>
> This is wrong; you either remove the "(in millions)" on the first item, or remove the "million" on each of the following.
>
> Such error in 3 places.
>
> Can we fix the English text or shall we leave it as it is?

I am not sure there is an actual error. These texts will be used in
this context
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:NoticeTemplate
so unless there is some inconsistency in the same CentralNotice, I
think it is fine.

> Perhaps a bit unrelated, and don't want to be a pain in the neck, but we do need consistent an non-ambiguous original texts to translate them, otherwise it can result in poor translations.

Please do. Loose phrases can't be translated, you need context.

I think we need a place for communikation between translators and
people who are somewhat responsible for, or who at least have good
knowledge of how the fundraiser thing works. What a "benefactor honor
roll" is, and so on. And it wouldn't be bad at all if all pages where
the phrases are words could be given in a link list, so we could see
for ourselves.

/Hanna