[Translators-l] New Wikimedia licensing terms ready to translate

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 26 01:08:58 UTC 2009

2009/6/25 Seb35 <seb35wikipedia at gmail.com>:
> * Why is there no mention to the GFDL in the site footnote?

GFDL only applies to a subset of articles which don't incorporate
CC-BY-SA-only materials, and in order to understand when it
applies/doesn't apply, you have to consult the terms of use anyway.
We're very conscious of how much space is taken up by legalese, so
we've decided to stick to a minimal approach for the site footer.

> * What about the localized versions of CC-BY-SA? like
> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.fr> by language
> and <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.fr_CA> by
> language and country

You're free to link to official CC translations of the _unported_
CC-BY-SA license, like these above URLs.

> * Should the Terms of Use be translated locally (by non-professionnal
> translators) or is there some plan to translate it on the WMF site
> (either by non-professionnal volunteers or professionnal certified
> translators) ? because I think this page has some legal value.

The best page to translate is this:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Implementation

It includes instructions for project communities on how to exactly
adapt and localize (both in a regional sense and a project sense) the
terms of use, and the core text itself. Volunteer translations of that
page are already in progress.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation