[Translators-l] many costly analyse the function phone call.

Siebrand Mazeland s.mazeland at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 2 16:21:42 UTC 2008

So I thought of a very short answer in this mail, and I decided not to write it.

Then by some associative browsing, looking into an error reported using the excellent ForeignAPIRepo functionality, I came across Tim Shell's user page on the English Language Wikipedia[1]. I went on and did a few other things, and decided it might be an interesting read. When I was done reading, I decided to reply to your e-mail anyway. All credits for the reply should go to Tim Shell. Flames can be addressed to me.

MediaWiki localisation moves asymptotically towards perfection. At any given moment, there is stuff we don't have, factual errors, etc. As MediaWiki localisation grows, and moves closer to perfection, errors and shortcomings grow smaller. MediaWiki localisation is thus a process, rather than an end state. Criticizing MediaWiki localisation for errors and shortcomings that exist now misses this point entirely.

What is preferable: An authoritative MediaWiki localisation that is 99.9% accurate, but which costs $300,000 a year to maintain? Or a MediaWiki localisation that is 95% accurate, but which costs maybe $5,000 a year to maintain? And that, on this much smaller budget, will grow more accurate every year? And that, because it does not demand perfect accuracy, is able to cover a much broader range of topics? And that, on top of this, is free?

Cheers! Siebrand

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:TimShell