[Translators-l] Wikimedia Foundation

Cary Bass cbass at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 2 16:24:54 UTC 2007

Aphaia wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Juan David Ruiz <zuirdj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/2/07, Cary Bass <cbass at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I changed
>>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ASitesupport&diff=22362&oldid=9935.
>>> This will need to be reflected for all languages on the website.
>>>
>> MediaWiki messages can be edited only by sysops.
>>

> Besides that,
> * I'm not sure there was any particular localization attempt for
> MediaWiki:Supportus on the foundation website. Maybe it relies on
> default settings.

It's all under MediaWiki:Sitesupport, so it has been localised.
> * I am not sure either if it is wise to reflect the change for all
> languages on the website: for example, in case of Japanese: a
> superative may sounds too much offensive. It doesn't sound begging,
> just demanding.   I would like to know what you mean here with "need
> to be reflected".
> * "Be reflected for all languages" is ideal but tough request. Around
> 30 languages are used, if we include  Fundraising pages themselves. I
> am not sure if it makes a sense the toolbox begs when the potential
> donor has already found the form for donation though. Could you please
> refine your requests, Cary?

Thoughtful consideration, but no.  I was ambiguous in my request
precisely because of the varying needs of different languages.  If a
superlative is not acceptable in Japanese, then perhaps an alternative
can be made, or keep it the same.  I believe my request adequately
covered this.
> ** Other concerns ... about fundarising pages.
>     There are around 30 fundraising pages, and they are not in a same
> style. Due to the last year renewal, some were changed, some were not.
> And I think I heard there would be another renewal ... will it happen?
> If so, I think it isn't nice for translators to be asked to catch the
> trend now (just before it'll be cast away again). If not ... we need
> to call for translators to catch up changes.
>
>      Also I would like to note there were requests to retrieve
> "monthly donation" button via PayPal. It was removed in the last year
> renewal. I have no idea how it can be back, though.
>
> Sabine, Cary, is there any update about fundarising page re-design?

Regarding the Fundraising page redesign: That's what this request was
all about.  It is Item 1 of the fundraising page redesign.  The rest
will follow.