[Translators-l] Betawiki: better support for your language in MediaWiki

Siebrand Mazeland s.mazeland at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 26 22:06:21 UTC 2007

Dear list members.

I am writing to you to promote a special wiki called Betawik[1]. This wiki
facilitates the localisation (l10n) and internationalisation (i18n) of the
MediaWiki interface. You may have changed many messages on your Wikipedia to
use your language for your language profile, but if you would log in to for
example the English language Wiktionary, you would not be able to use the
interface as well translated as at the Wikipedia of your native language.

If you wish to contribute to better support of your language in MediaWiki,
as well as for many MediaWiki extensions, please visit Betawiki[2], create
an account[3] and request translator priviledges[4]. You can see the current
status of localisation of your language on [[Localization_statistics|meta]]
and do not forget to get in touch with others that may already be working on
your language on Betawiki[5].

If you have any further questions, please let me know[6]. We will try and
assist you as much as possible, for example by importing all messages from a
local wiki for you to start with.

You can also find us on the Freenode IRC network[7] in the channel
#mediawiki-i18n where we would be happy to help you get started.

Obviously we need people from the smaller communities and I have posted this
message at the village pumps that I know of, i.e. that are in a list on
meta. If you are a native writer of a smaller language, or know any that
worked on, or are working on translation of the MediaWiki interface, please
do not hesitatie to refer people to Betawiki. This message, as posted at
Village Pumps, can be copied from Betawiki[8].

Thank you very much for your attention and I do hope to see some of you on
Betawiki soon!

Cheers! Siebrand[9]

Oh, apologies for the spam. I'm trying to get more traffic for Nikerabbit's
excellent service *and* have you make a better MediaWiki.

P.s. Some of us at Betawiki would like to have the Translator extension
integrated into Incubator, which would give the i18n of MediaWiki related
messages even more momentum. If you have any control over what the Wikimedia
devs do with their time, please try and get adding Translator functionality
to Incubator wiki higher on their list of priorities. ;)

[1] http://nike.users.idler.fi/betawiki/Etusivu
[2] http://nike.users.idler.fi/betawiki/Translating:Intro
[3]
http://nike.users.idler.fi/dev/?title=Toiminnot:Kirjaudu_sis%C3%A4%C3%A4n&ty