[Translators-l] IRC guidelines

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 04:04:32 UTC 2007

Hi, thank you for your reply,

On 8/11/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's what I mean, by "not very good practice", I mean it is *very* rude
> for all of us to assume that people follow rules/guidelines in a language
> that they do not necessarily speak.

It is reasonable per se, so I wonder why the same person think it also
reasonable to put a guideline which was made only through a discussion
by English speaking people to the other language people.

The case is different from the Foundation policies, like privacy
policy or licensing policy, because we trust them the power and right
to settle such globally applied rule. I don't think you are elected in
the same manner. Or I don't think you are delegated to set such a
global rules in a same manner with committees which were settled by
Board resolutions and their initial membership were solely established
in those resolution. I would like you to remind Communication Project
Group is not a committee, and has no power to settle an official
guideline based on delegation from the Board.  I found no good reason
therefore that you command Transcom for working to satisfy your
unofficial desire.

 > The guidelines make it seem like they
> apply to all Wikimedia channels in all languages, thus they should be
> written in as many langauges as possible.  And if I were asking solely for a
> translation, I would have just put the template on the page.  I want to know
> what how people feel about translating the guidelins, so I posted here.
>

> On 8/10/07, Maria Fanucchi <marialadouce at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It wouldn't take long at all to translate, but is it really necessary?
> Does anyone read this page? Or are you asking for translation because this
> page is the "official rulebook" of the IRC channels, and as such would need
> translation to serve as a reference and reminder?
> > --Maria
> > User:Arria Belli
> >

> > On 8/10/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com > wrote:
> > >

> > > I noticed today that the IRC Guidelines
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_guidelines ) weren't
> translated into other languages even though they supposedly apply to all.
> This isn't very good practice.  Do you think it should be translated?
> > >
> > > This also applis to the #wikipedia guidelines, but it looks someone beat
> me to that! (
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_guidelines/wikipedia)
> However, I'm not sure if they are done arguing on that page, so it may be
> best to wait a little bit before you being translating.
> > >
> > > Thanks, and looking forward to comments!
> > >

> > > --
> > > Casey Brown
> > > Cbrown1023
> > >
> > > ---
> sent to
> > > this address will probably get lost.

> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023
>
> ---
> this address will probably get lost.

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *