[Translators-l] Re : 1)Outdated pages by Issue numbers 2)Highlighting NEW information 3)better co-ordination

louis bodo louis_bodo at yahoo.fr
Sat Dec 23 12:40:39 UTC 2006

habj,
I am very pleased that you have brought the problem up.

I had a suggestion some time ago, which is related to this problem, but at that time I have not brought it to public attention.
My concern was translating an organisational document such as the bylaws which could possibly change with time, and my thoughts were well founded. I started to translate the bylaws, but found that a new one was already discussed.
I suggested that such documents should have an Issue number attached to them, so that the translator is aware which version he is translating. The superseeded articles could, or perhaps should be archived. I also envisaged that such articles should have the date of issue, the name of the board member who authorised its creation and/or approved it. With translations Translator and Copy editor would substitute the names of the Authoriser and Approver.

I now came up with another problem and suggestion.
When we send messages to a group of people such as Translators for easy reference we leave the original text in the response, which after a number of responses can grow to a fair size and it is a waste of time searching through all these to see what is new.
What I would suggest is that if we would write our response in a different police style (eg Arial), and/or size we could easily see the latest communication, which thereafter could be changed bach to the original for the next response.

A third problem is knowing who translates what ? When the community is not large enough for a translation coordinator, but more than one person is prepared to do translation work a system ought to be set up which tells you if a translation has been taken into hand or not. Once it has been translated, it is true, we have a record of further stages of the document, such as copy editing etc, but we ought to signal immediately as soon as someone starts a document.

It is of course possible that some of the solutions to these problems are already being solved or have been solved. They are thoughts, which might reduce any time wastage.

LouisBB