[Translators-l] [Election] Language barriers, specially English one

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 06:03:51 UTC 2006

On meta, Fruggo said:
> I too found it odd that most statements were only in English, while most candidates stated that they participate in several languages (I wonder, what is the level of participation if you don't speak the language...). But what bothered me more was the level of English used in the statements. I've translated candicacy statements before, among other things on foundation and meta, but this was the first time I almost gave up: guys, what difficult words you use! Please keep in mind that the statements are also meant for non-native English speakers. If you use such difficult English now, how will that be when non-native English speakers try and understand board discussions? Fruggo 07:39, 20 August 2006 (UTC)

Well said.

I hope all native English speaking editors, in particular who are
ambitious to get involved into the Foundation level, or even on the
community, all who wants to join the interproject a/o  -language type
activities, more than half of the Wikimedia project participants are
NOT native speakers of English.

Fruggo is a good translator and one of core staff of En -> Nl
translations for a long time. Not only on candidate presentation, but
on other pages, I myself have faced several problems. I appreciate her
to bring up this problem in this occasion.

Also, I would like to stress hereby the Election Committee don't
assure each of candidates the possibility of translation. If you
writes unclearly, your statement loss the chance to be translated and
read on the community. So, dear candidate, please check your statement
and consider if it is clear for everyone, not for your friends who are
native English speakers, but for all. And if possible, consider to
rewrite it more clearly, or provide the community with another english
version - simple English or alike. And if you are capable in multiple
languages, please try to prepare another language version by your own
hands. For multilingual translators, such possibility of comparison
might be helpful to make a better work.

We try to find translators, and currently many translators are
volunterring to put those statement into their language, but as Fruggo
properly said on the above, no one cannot translate what they cannot
understand. It might be harmful, misguiding the reader-voters.

To translators: I request you all the Election translator to consider
to leave your work incomplete, boldly, in case you are not sure you
understand properly. Misinformation is worse than no information in my
opinion. Leave the original message in the original language and leave
your comment on the talk or as comment on that page. If you ask the
candidate to ask to clarify what he or she intended, I will greately
appreciate you for your efforts, and possibly the community, but
please note, it is not mundetory for you and you needn't be exhausted
for this work. Please give up, before you are torn. Close the window
and go out to take a fresh air of the late summer.

--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org