[Photoreporters] get started

Marie-Lan Tay Pamart jastrow at pip-pip.org
Sun Nov 10 13:30:14 UTC 2013

We all seem a bit shy…

Let's introduce myself then. I am Marie-Lan Nguyen (User:Jastrow) from the French-speaking Wikipedia. I am located in Paris.

I have been taking pictures with the support of the French chapter for several years, first in political meetings and more recently in sport events. Chapter support is rather critical because of France's press regulation rules: you must derive more than half of your revenue from press photography to gain a press card. And without a press card it's hard to gain access to major sports events: I was recently refused accreditation for the ATP Paris Masters (tennis) because of this. So the plan is to build experience/a portfolio through minor (i.e. poorly televised) sports in order to talk our way into big (association) football, rugby or tennis events.

My biggest project this year was the fencing world championships in Budapest. Getting an accreditation is easy in fencing. I stayed there for 7 days and took 500 Gb of pictures (about 1500 pics/day), which are still in the process of being edited and uploaded to Commons. Fencing being one of my favourite sports, it was a very exhilarating, if exhausting, experience. France holding several fencing world cup or major competitions, I hope to be able eventually to illustrate the articles of the top 30 fencers in each weapon.

Marie-Lan