[Mediawiki-i18n] Internationalizing project names

Purodha Blissenbach purodha at blissenbach.org
Wed Sep 16 13:21:56 UTC 2015

On 16.09.2015 08:55, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> [...] , but since the number of language
> names in the world is fairly limited (in practice - less than one
> thousand), a few lines of code can resolve it.

The number of languages listed by SIL in ISO 639-3 is (at the moment) a
bit less then 1800, not 1000.
BUT: given their many errors and omissions which are obvious to the
knowing,
one must come to the conclusion that a much better estimate is
something
in the range of 100 to about 1000 times that many.

Good for the subject matter we are discussion here: more often than
not,
we likely can get along with language groups. E.g., the translation of
"Wikipedia" to many Slavic languages using the Cyrillic script is
"Википедия" and declensions are identical. This advantage comes with
many proper names in many languages.

> As a pet project I started implementing a solution for something like
> this that would allow doing this in Russian:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/172501/ [5]

See also https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T50635
where there is a request fairly overlapping with your solution in
many Germanic languages (not English) where adjectives and
adverbs often share identical forms.

Purodha