[Mediawiki-i18n] Internationalizing project names

Erik Bernhardson ebernhardson at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 16 02:58:42 UTC 2015

Yes we are intending to show them in the interface language, the problem is
the number of messages. The config repo for mediawiki at wmf has 879
projects. There are 369 translation languages. That means if we use the
standard i18n approach there will be (maximum) 324k translated strings for
this one UI element. At the very least if we did go that way we should
probably do that in a way that is usable in more than just this one
specific UI element.