[Mediawiki-i18n] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Fwd: Chat about MLEB

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:35:46 UTC 2015

Kartik Mistry, 06/01/2015 14:33:
> To the right list, if not done yet.

Thanks. Let's continue here.

> Hello,
>
> (2nd attempt to post, sorry if this is a duplicate.)
>
> We're starting to use the translate extension on our wiki (
> http://oer.educ.cam.ac.uk).

Great!

> Is this the right list to post a question on?

Good enough, but we can also continue on this list (mediawiki-i18n) or
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:Translate or phabricator
reports or whatever public venue you prefer. :)

> My question is: If you are going from one translated page (e.g. base page
> in en, translated page in fr) to another page (in en) that has a
> translation for the same language (fr), can you automatically stay in this
> language? I.e. if you on [[A/fr]] you click on [[B]], can are you
> automatically taken to [[B/fr]]?

Yes. Have you read the "Links" row in
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_administration#Markup_examples
? If it's not clear enough, please let us know. MediaWiki's assumption
is that the French-speaking user of your example would also like to have
the interface in French and to always read pages in French whenever
possible.

If you want some different workflow, e.g.
* read in French but keep interface in English, or
* usually read in French but continue reading in English if I started
reading in English,
then you'd need to make the links yourself with a template.

> There seems to be some provisions for
> this, but it's not clear to me.
>
> Also, is it possible to add "languages" - for us it's not so much different
> languages, but we're creating localised versions of a teacher education
> resource for different contexts (which are mainly English-speaking), which
> involves replacing things like "Zambia" with "Rwanda", but also more
> complex adaptations.

Yes, it's possible.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgExtraLanguageNames
If the language in question has an ISO 639-3 code, please share any
*software* translation with us, by performing it on translatewiki.net.
https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translatewiki.net_languages

> Our resource is quite complex (e.g. extensive use of templates, and
> semantic mediawiki) see
> http://oer.educ.cam.ac.uk/wiki/OER4Schools - would somebody with MLEB
> experience be happy to have a chat to see whether MLEB is the right tool?

I'm extremely interested in hearing of your use case (an OER wiki), the
more you tell us about it the merrier!

Nemo