[Mediawiki-i18n] promoting likely cross-wiki language links

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 11 19:08:17 UTC 2015

At the Monthly Metrics meeting Asaf gave the example of Ukrainian speakers
getting Google results for Russian wikipedia articles even though there are
good articles on uk.wikipedia.org.

Can the list of language links be aware of these situations and present
likely wiki versions of interest higher up?

I tried this with the ru version of the Ukranian language page,
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A3%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D1%8F%D0%B7%D1%8B%D0%BA
, and it seems the link to the uk wiki article is starred (yay), but is way
way down a long list, I had to scroll down six screens. Maybe it's ranked
higher if your language is ru or uk.

Cheers,
--
=S Page  WMF Tech writer