[Mediawiki-i18n] Specifying source language for a translatable page

KC Lau kc.kclau at gmail.com
Wed May 21 08:50:47 UTC 2014

Hi List,

I am trying out MediaWiki 1.22.5 / XAMPP with Apache 2.4.7, MySQL
5.5.36, PHP 5.4.25 as a single site supporting multiple languages on my PC.
I have problem using the Translate Extension (in
MediaWikiLanguageExtensionBundle-2014.03) to translate a page from a
native language say French to English.
It seems MW defaults the source language of the page to the site
language which is defined as English in this case: $wgLanguageCode = "en";
While I can translate a page in French into other languages like
Chinese, I cannot translate it into English, as the generated link
for English in Other Languages actually displays the original French page.
I tried naming the page with /fr suffix but it does not work.
Please see these links as examples:
<http://61.18.209.180/wpw1/index.php/Ma_deuxi%C3%A8me_page>http://61.18.209.180/wpw1/index.php/Ma_deuxi%C3%A8me_page

http://61.18.209.180/wpw1/index.php/Ma_troisi%C3%A8me_page/fr

My question is: is there a way to specify the source language for a
translatable page when it differs from the site language?

I asked this question on the MediaWiki Support Desk and in IRC
#mediawiki last night but got no answer yet. I'm not sure if this
should be directed to this list or not. Please refer me to the
appropriate place if not.

Regards,
KC Lau.