[Mediawiki-i18n] [GSoC 2014] Proposal for page migration project under the Translate Extension

Pratik Lahoti pr4tiklahoti at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 09:22:24 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 1:04 AM, Pratik Lahoti <pr4tiklahoti at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I am Pratik Lahoti (User:BPositive) from Pune, India. I am willing to
> participate in the Google Summer of Code this year. I am interested in the
> project titled - "Tools for mass migration of legacy translated wiki
> content<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2014#Tools_for_mass_migration_of_legacy_translated_wiki_content>
> ".
>
> My mentors for this project would be Niklas Laxström<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Nlaxstrom>and Federico
> Leva <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nemo_bis>.
>
> With their help, I have drafted the first version of my proposal page. You
> can find it here:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate/Mass_migration_tools
>
> Brief overview of the project:
>
> The MediaWiki Translate extension<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate>makes the task of translation easier by providing a user-friendly interface
> that consists of text strings splitted into translation units.
> Non-translatable content like images are excluded from the process of
> translation. Though that makes the job easy with a rich editor supporting
> various languages, a lot of effort is required to prepare the page for
> translation, i.e, the page under question first needs to be converted into
> a format that would be recognized by the Translate extension. The process
> of preparing the page for translation needs to take into consideration
> various markups<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_administration#markup>which becomes a tedious task when done manually. Plus, wikis have a lot of
> legacy content that still needs to be made translatable.
>
> Thus, with this motivation, the project aims to facilitate this conversion
> and thereby save manual time and effort. The tool developed would thus make
> the page translatable, and once that is done, it would import the
> translations (which were present before the page was made translatable)
> into the Translate extension. Thus, the entire process of importing
> translations which involved a significant amount of manual task gets
> automated by this project.
>
> The proposal page mentions the Project Outline and the approach/solution
> towards the problem statement. I am done with most of the sections and left
> with the Project Schedule (which I will finish off when everything is
> finalized).
>
> Please have a look at the proposal and give your valuable
> feedback/suggestions. While I have no problems in replying to the
> suggestions put forth over here, I would appreciate if you can do the same
> on the discussion page<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:Translate/Mass_migration_tools>of the proposal, so that all the feedback is at one single place.
>
> Looking forward to the inputs from the community.

> [...]
I had sent a mail earlier, asking the community to have a look at the
proposal page. But I din't get any feedback in the past 3 to 4 days. I
know, feedback is much faster on running code, but it would be great if my
proposal page attracts some eyeballs, as the student registration is going
to start in a few hours time.

Looking forward to hearing your views.