[Mediawiki-i18n] [GSoC 2014] Proposal for page migration project under the Translate Extension

Pratik Lahoti pr4tiklahoti at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 19:34:57 UTC 2014

Hello everyone!

I am Pratik Lahoti (User:BPositive) from Pune, India. I am willing to
participate in the Google Summer of Code this year. I am interested in the
project titled - "Tools for mass migration of legacy translated wiki
content<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2014#Tools_for_mass_migration_of_legacy_translated_wiki_content>
".

My mentors for this project would be Niklas
Laxström<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Nlaxstrom>and
Federico
Leva <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nemo_bis>.

With their help, I have drafted the first version of my proposal page. You
can find it here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate/Mass_migration_tools

Brief overview of the project:

The MediaWiki Translate
extension<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate>makes the
task of translation easier by providing a user-friendly interface
that consists of text strings splitted into translation units.
Non-translatable content like images are excluded from the process of
translation. Though that makes the job easy with a rich editor supporting
various languages, a lot of effort is required to prepare the page for
translation, i.e, the page under question first needs to be converted into
a format that would be recognized by the Translate extension. The process
of preparing the page for translation needs to take into consideration
various markups<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_administration#markup>which
becomes a tedious task when done manually. Plus, wikis have a lot of
legacy content that still needs to be made translatable.

Thus, with this motivation, the project aims to facilitate this conversion
and thereby save manual time and effort. The tool developed would thus make
the page translatable, and once that is done, it would import the
translations (which were present before the page was made translatable)
into the Translate extension. Thus, the entire process of importing
translations which involved a significant amount of manual task gets
automated by this project.

The proposal page mentions the Project Outline and the approach/solution
towards the problem statement. I am done with most of the sections and left
with the Project Schedule (which I will finish off when everything is
finalized).

Please have a look at the proposal and give your valuable
feedback/suggestions. While I have no problems in replying to the
suggestions put forth over here, I would appreciate if you can do the same
on the discussion
page<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:Translate/Mass_migration_tools>of
the proposal, so that all the feedback is at one single place.

Looking forward to the inputs from the community.

--
Warm Regards,
*Pratik Lahoti*