[Mediawiki-i18n] [WikimediaMobile] Translate FFS support for plurals on Android, iOS?

Brion Vibber bvibber at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 1 16:51:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Brion Vibber, 01/07/2014 18:01:
> >
> > iOS 7/OS X 10.9 also has a 'native' way of handling plurals which
> > requires a second '.stringdict' output file alongside the '.strings'
> > file; or there are CLDR-powered compatibility libraries
> > like https://github.com/Smartling/ios-i18n which embed multiple message
> > alternates in the main '.strings' file.
>
> Needing multiple messages sounds like a substandard gettext-like
> implementation.

That'd be how it's handled internally in the file, but we'd want to expose
it to translators in one combined converted message yes.

> Translators certainly expect to be able to use the
> MediaWiki syntax, normally; they're likely to make mistakes or skip the
> messages with unknown syntax.
> So if you add a new syntax you should
> * at the very least document it on
> https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:WikimediaMobile and
> https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Plural ,

^ aha -- it looks like the conversion that (may or may not work yet) in
AndroidXmlFFS is for the 'Ruby on Rails style', so as long as it's
documented....  hopefully not too confusing.

> * probably implement a checker to warn translators when they make
> mistakes, see
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Group_configuration#CHECKER
> and examples in the repo.

Oooh that sounds handy.