[Mediawiki-i18n] Your help is needed to check translations

Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) smazeland at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 6 13:37:53 UTC 2014

Hi, and best wishes for 2014!

This message is sent to the MediaWiki i18n mailing list and to all users of
translatewiki.net that have ever contributed to translations of the
following language codes: ab, av, ba, be-tarask, bxr, ce, crh-cyrl, cv,
inh, koi, krc, kv, lbe, lez, mhr, mrj, myv, ru, sr-ec, sr-el, tt-cyrl, tyv,
udm, uk, xal. 256 people are in BCC for this email.

*Short version of my message:*Your language needs your help. We ask you to
please review outdated messages for your language at
https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&group=mediawiki&filter=fuzzy

*Longer version:*
MediaWiki's plural <https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Plural> rules have been
updated to CLDR <https://translatewiki.net/wiki/CLDR> 24. We use these to
be standard-compliant. CLDR 24 introduces some changes in the Russian
plural forms. The changes are applicable to all languages that do not
define explicit plural forms in CLDR and fall back to Russian.

Plural forms for Russian and languages which fall back to Russian are now
as follows:

   - Form 1: 1, 21, 31, 41, 51, 61, 71, 81, 101, 1001, …
   - Form 2: 0, 5, 6, 7,8,...18, 19, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000, 1000000, …
   - Form 3: 2, 3, 4, 22, 23, 24, 32, 33, 34, 42, 43, 44, 52, 53, 54, 62,
   102, 1002, …

Effectively, form 2 and form 3 have switched places.

For Russian, languages having Russian as fallback, Serbian, Ukrainian and
Belarusian, there used to be a special case where translators could supply
only 2 plural forms. The first one would be used only for the case of 1 and
the second for all other numbers. This special case has been merged with
the explicit number plural forms. From now on, when {{PLURAL}} is uses two
forms, the first form will be used for 1, 21, 31 etc., and the second for
all other numbers.

Everything is explained at
https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Thread:Portal_talk:Ru/Plural_changes_in_many_languages.
Please ask your questions there so everyone can benefit from the discussion.

We have updated current translations as well as we could, and marked all
messages as outdated. You can review them here:
https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&group=mediawiki&filter=fuzzy

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

--