[Mediawiki-i18n] Differences in language names between MW core and CLDR

P. Blissenbach publi at web.de
Fri Apr 4 17:06:05 UTC 2014

"Petr Kadlec" <petr.kadlec at gmail.com> writes:

> Petr Kadlec, 31/10/2013 10:09:
> > Yes, I compared the name of the language in Names.php with the name of
> > the language in _the corresponding_ CldrNamesXx.php from the CLDR
> > extension, i.e. note I did not use CLDR data directly, only the CLDR
> > extension. (The script which created the list can be seen on github, a
> > link is in the original post.)
>
> Heh, but how lazy we list idlers are, nobody else helped edit. So, to
> break down the todos, can you do the following:
> 1) torture Nikerabbit and purodha until they emit a conclusion on
> Ripoarisch vs. Kölsch ...

Ripuarian is a scientific collective term for a language family
that Colognian (Kölsch) is part of. So the correct names for ksh
are "Colognian" in English, and "Kölsch" as the autonym. The Problem
is that there is no ISO 639 code for Ripuarian, but the WMF projects
use ksh as a replacement until one has been assigned. The correct
English name for Ripuarian is "Ripuarian", or "Ripuarian Franconian".
An autonym does not really exist since people mostly are not aware
of the linguistic family relations, but a common denominator would
be "Platt" or "plat" which is similar to "vernacular", and identical
among a huge variety of Dutch, Belgian, and West German local langages,
including Colognian and almost all other Ripuarian varieties.

> ... and sámegiella vs. davvisámegiella;
> 2) submit a patch to drop the MediaWiki names which differ from CLDR
> only in casing (AFAICS: Esperanto, Ирон, shqip, SiSwati, Кыргызча);

Agreed that we can do that, but I would recommend to warn communities
about it, and respect their feedbacks, possibly ignite them to have
CLDR updated.

> 3) file a bug in MediaWiki for the locale(s) which disagree with CLDR on
> main script, i.e. shi Tašlḥiyt/ⵜⴰⵛⵍⵃⵉⵜ vs. ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ (we already have
> shi-latn);
> 4) where names differ "only" in diacritics, file a bug against the
> project that has less I guess :), i.e. Qafar, Gikuyu;
> 5) where either has less specifications (probably different cases or
> "language X" vs. "X" differences), no idea;

Ask communitites? Possibly recommend to update CLDR once the existing
names.php contents are confirmed?

Purodha

--
(this e-mail probably scanned by NSA and GCHQ and others)