[Mediawiki-i18n] Differences in language names between MW core and CLDR

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:08:16 UTC 2014

Petr Kadlec, 31/10/2013 10:09:
> Yes, I compared the name of the language in Names.php with the name of
> the language in _the corresponding_ CldrNamesXx.php from the CLDR
> extension, i.e. note I did not use CLDR data directly, only the CLDR
> extension. (The script which created the list can be seen on github, a
> link is in the original post.)

Heh, but how lazy we list idlers are, nobody else helped edit. So, to
break down the todos, can you do the following:
1) torture Nikerabbit and purodha until they emit a conclusion on
Ripoarisch vs. Kölsch and sámegiella vs. davvisámegiella;
2) submit a patch to drop the MediaWiki names which differ from CLDR
only in casing (AFAICS: Esperanto, Ирон, shqip, SiSwati, Кыргызча);
3) file a bug in MediaWiki for the locale(s) which disagree with CLDR on
main script, i.e. shi Tašlḥiyt/ⵜⴰⵛⵍⵃⵉⵜ vs. ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ (we already have
shi-latn);
4) where names differ "only" in diacritics, file a bug against the
project that has less I guess :), i.e. Qafar, Gikuyu;
5) where either has less specifications (probably different cases or
"language X" vs. "X" differences), no idea;
6) ignore the stylistical differences (the two zh-* variants);
7) ignore the variants undefined in CLDR (de-ch, en-gb, kk-cyrl,
shi-latn, sr-ec, tg-cyrl);
7) file a bug in MediaWiki for all the others?

Nemo

Petr Kadlec, 30/10/2013 22:18:>

http://translatewiki.net/wiki/User:Mormegil/CLDR_language_names_differences