[Mediawiki-i18n] I18n deployment 2013-05-07

Niklas Laxström nlaxstrom at wikimedia.org
Tue May 7 10:31:57 UTC 2013

Post deploymend update:

TL;DR: What was planned and even a bit more was done, but...

We found multiple issues during the deployment:
* While testing ULS on deployment-prep, I found that ULS trigger in
'personal' position did not honor $wgULSAnonCanChangeLanguage setting
and always opened the language selector instead of display settings.
This was an oversight in the planning&validation of stories in
previous sprint (there was no explicit mention about this). Amir made
a quick fix and I updated and deployed ULS to master on 1.22wmf3
branch. This was done before syncing configuration changes, but given
5 minute cache time for scripts, some anonymous users might have seen
language selector for some minutes. Amir's fix exposed another bug in
ULS, that clicking the trigger when ULS is open does not always close
the ULS. I added a note to bug https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/47971
* ULS is now enabled on all deployment-prep projects in the two
different configurations depending on the project (personal vs.
interlanguage position). However there is an issue with purging which
means it is not visible on most of the pages. Filed as bug
* While testing updated ULS on wikidata.org, I found that part of the
interface was missing because API action=parse is broken there. Filed
as bug https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/48201
* While testing TUX on wikidata.org, I found out that the fix for bug
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/46716 did not fix the bug. Bug was
* Whlle testing ULS, Pau found that clicking more languages ("...")
from IME icon opens language selector partially obscured and out of
the view port. Filed as bug https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/48204
* While testing ULS on test.wikipedia.org, I found that IME settings
claim that there are no input methods for English. Amir was not able
to reproduce locally, but he will file a bug report.
* I ran over the reserved 60 minute slot because of the extra fix we
needed to make and also the refresh-translatable-pages.php script too
still longer than hour for rest of the wikis... wikidatawiki has
gathered a lots of translatable pages ;)


2013/5/3 Niklas Laxström <nlaxstrom at wikimedia.org>:
> When: Tuesday 2013-05-07 08:00 UTC
> What:
> * Run refresh-translatable-pages.php for remaining WMF wikis using
> Translate extension (mediawiki and meta were done last week).
> * Enable ULS for anonymous users without language selection. This
> brings web fonts and input methods to anonymous users on wikis which
> have ULS (meta, mediawiki, wikidata and couple of others). Tehnically:
> $wgULSEnableAnon is replaced with $wgULSAnonCanChangeLanguage.
>   -Niklas

More information about the Mediawiki-i18n mailing list