[Mediawiki-i18n] long message names, "ph" for placeholder

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 28 06:19:31 UTC 2013

While adding messages for a restyled login and create account forms I find
they're getting longer and longer.  E.g. the original field was named
"yourpassword", and I'm distinguishing the two forms' fields, so
userlogin-yourpassword. But when it comes to the placeholder text that
appears in the input field,
    'userlogin-yourpassword-placeholder'
feels just too long (34 characters).  I think as we start using HTML5
features and more fields get placeholders, it makes sense to use an
abbreviation for that 11 character, so
'userlogin-yourpassword-ph'

I explain this MessagesQqq.php, but how about mentioning abbreviations in  <
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Coding_conventions#System_messages> ?

--
=S Page  software engineer on Editor Engagement Experiments team