[Mediawiki-i18n] TUX deployment update

Niklas Laxström nlaxstrom at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 26 10:00:44 UTC 2013

We have completed the deployment of updated Universal Language
Selector and Translate to WMF during our i18n deployment window today.
This allows us to do final testing on WMF to see if there are any
blocking issues for enabling TUX translation interface by default [1]
as part of regular 1.22wmf1 branch deployments starting from April 1st
[2].

For translatewiki.net we are planning to enable TUX by default very soon.

So far things look good ----- only a couple of minor issues have been
reported. List of known issues and requests is in bugzilla [3].

We also have an extensive contingency plan:
* The old editor can still be activated with tux=0 URL parameter on
Special:Translate
* If there are bigger problems we can also set $wgTranslateUseTux to
false which affects users not having a tux cookie.

As a heads up, later there will be an update to the search schema,
which entails rebuilding of all translation memory databases. This
enables case insensitive translation search and better tokenization.

[1] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/03/25/redesigning-the-translation-experience-an-overview/
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.22/Roadmap
[3] https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=%5BTUX%5D&list_id=189479

  -Niklas