[Mediawiki-i18n] ECMAScript Internationalisation API Spec

Mark Holmquist mtraceur at member.fsf.org
Fri Aug 30 18:40:38 UTC 2013

Hi, l10n people!

I came across an article [0] in my inbox this morning, and it linked to
an ECMA specification [1] that I think the i18n-oriented people (read:
the MediaWiki developers) in the audience may appreciate, especially if
you've tried to do something more complex with i18n on the client side.

In particular it looks like this spec encompasses a lot of things we've
written into our Language classes on the backend, that we can maybe now
get for free on the frontend. I'm particularly excited about the number-
formatting bits, which I'd asked about some weeks ago. The fundraisers
may enjoy the currency code validation, and I'm sure everyone can get
behind internationalisable Date objects with timezone handling!

Just a note to inform you - sadly this is all based on ECMAScript 5.1,
so we won't be able to use it universally anytime soon, but it seemed
like the sort of thing that we should keep an eye on.

P.S., I was sent the article by the wonderful new JavaScript Weekly [2]
list I've subscribed to, which has totally paid off so far. Interested
parties, subscribe away :)

[0] http://generatedcontent.org/post/59403168016/esintlapi
[1] http://www.ecma-international.org/ecma-402/1.0/
[2] http://javascriptweekly.com/