[Mediawiki-i18n] [E3-team] why is jquery.localize undocumented and little used?

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 19 21:28:52 UTC 2013

On 08/17/2013 10:28 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> I imagine that mw.msg provides more features, such as plural and
> gender, and that makes it closer to the server-side i18n, but Niklas
> may know better.
>
> In any case, if it's deprecated, it should be documented.

Despite the misleading name, jquery.localize is MediaWiki-specific.  It
has a hard-dependency on mw.msg.  Since it uses msg rather than message,
I believe means it always uses .text() (the default format of mw.msg),
but it should pick up jqueryMsg if present.

See
https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/mediawiki%2Fcore.git/2305e760f7de7d3053ab310faf0eea79b6d860c9/resources%2Fjquery%2Fjquery.localize.js#L18

I like the idea of jquery.localize, but I haven't used it in practice.

Matt Flaschen