[Mediawiki-i18n] Introducing: Designs for the Universal Language Selector

Pau Giner pginer at wikimedia.org
Tue May 22 09:40:17 UTC 2012

Today we are announcing the designs and interactive prototypes for the
Universal Language Selector.

Wikipedia is available in 285 languages, and MediaWiki has been
translated to almost 400 languages.
Several language-related tools are available to support the
consumption and contribution of content in different languages.
These tools allow users to type text in a language for which their
keyboard is not prepared, download appropriate web fonts to display
non-Latin scripts properly and choose the language of their user
interface.

The Universal Language Selector is a tool that will allow users to
select a language and configure its support in an easy way.
When the number of languages in a list approaches 400, ease of use
becomes both a need and a challenge.

The design process for the selector started with the analysis of user
needs and the definition of representative scenarios to support.
Then, we explored different ideas in the form of sketches and
wire-frames through different iterations.
Finally, we have created interactive prototypes to test whether our
ideas work with real users, and we want to share them with the
community.