[Mediawiki-i18n] Sorry, we don't have «page» in that language

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:14:43 UTC 2012

On 31/07/12 11:20, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> 2012/7/31 Platonides <platonides at gmail.com>:
>> Do we have somewhere a message like this?
>> "Sorry, we don't have «page» in $LANG language, yet.
>> You can read it on
>> -XXZ
>> -XXY
>>
>> You can [help translating it]"
>
> I remember that there was cross-wiki search once and it was disabled
> for some reason, at least on Wikimedia projects.

Don't worry, it's intended for translated pages in the same wiki, not
for doing a cross-wiki search (if you're thinking the same one as me, it
wasn't never a full cross-search, but a search in wikis listed in the
same pool).

>> Also, what's the best way to add new messages?
>> Create a new MediaWiki extension, even if it is going to have little to
>> no real code?
>
> I'm not sure that I understand the question. Messages can be added to
> MessagesEn.php (and MessagesQqq.php!) when it's relevant. See
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/L10n#Adding_new_messages
>
> Does that answer the question? Or did I misunderstand something?

Yes, that those messages wouldn't be in use by MediaWiki core, so they
wouldn't go there. :)

I know how to create an extension, and messages provided by the
extension are obviously made available. But, does it make sense to
create an extension which is only messages?