[Mediawiki-i18n] CLDR and Names.php

Robin Pepermans robinp.1273 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 23:12:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

Some time ago I made a comparison of MediaWiki and CLDR names, see
http://translatewiki.net/wiki/User:SPQRobin/languages . I find it also
important to have the right language names, and to be
consistent/efficient. Something I've been thinking about for some time
is to change names in MediaWiki from always uppercase to lowercase
where that's normal (as in CLDR).

Also, I am planning to include all English language names (from ISO
639-3) in MediaWiki. Including native names from CLDR in core is more
difficult, but we could perhaps do that in the future and then
fallback where possible, as you propose.