[Mediawiki-i18n] Pseudolocalization

Niklas Laxström niklas.laxstrom at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 17:10:43 UTC 2010

On 24 September 2010 20:00, Neil Kandalgaonkar <neilk at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 9/24/10 12:49 AM, Niklas Laxström wrote:
>>
>> You are going to have problems with messages like sidebar, mainpage
>> and others excepting certain kind of input.
>
> Oh, I see what you're saying now. You mean how MediaWiki abuses the message
> database for things which are more like configuration, e.g.
> MediaWiki:Sidebar.
>
> Hm. I'm not sure how to fix that at all. Other than somehow cataloging all
> the message strings that are used like that.
>
> Come to think of it, what do we do to ensure that these messages are not
> translated? Or does that not matter since such messages originate in a
> different place?

Some of them are translated (maybe just partially), some may be
translated and some are not available for translation in
translatewiki.net. See maintenance/language/messageTypes.inc for
optional and ignored messages respectively. Unfortunately the
criterion for those tags is exactly the same what we would need for
this use case.

 -Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström