[Mediawiki-i18n] [OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] The OpenStreetMap website is now translatable at Translatewiki

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 18:44:02 UTC 2009

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
> <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> But which OSM components does this cover? I'm assuming this only covers the
> >> main OSM website (and the wiki indirectly since MediaWiki is already in
> >> TranslateWiki) but not Potlatch, and the other editors.
> >
> > It's only the website at the moment as Siebrand says. But it would be
> > very nice to add other OpenStreetMap applications, the most obvious
> > next step being Potlatch.
>
> It would also be a very interesting project to use Translatewiki to
> translate some subsets of the OpenStreetMap data itself.
>
> For instance country or state names, capitals, or cities with >0.5
> million people, stuff like that.

TranslateWiki .. awesome stuff!

Agreed some kind of way to translate specific parts of the OSM database would have huge payoff.
There's a large open translation community online, we only need to give them familiar tools.

I'd reckon that we'd want our own custom tool for this. It would connect to the API, rather than SVN.
Maps could be embedded in the tool, to provide geographic context for translators.

Also, the Foundation has growing needs for translators for our communications. Wonder if TranslateWiki or something else
is a way to get that done.

-Mikel