[Mediawiki-i18n] [OSM-dev] The OpenStreetMap website is now translatable at Translatewiki

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 10:54:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> But which OSM components does this cover? I'm assuming this only covers the
> main OSM website (and the wiki indirectly since MediaWiki is already in
> TranslateWiki) but not Potlatch, and the other editors.

It's only the website at the moment as Siebrand says. But it would be
very nice to add other OpenStreetMap applications, the most obvious
next step being Potlatch.

To add Potlatch some internal changes need to be done in Potlatch
itself. I've filed a bug detailing what these are:

    http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2304

I don't think Richard minds this change to Potlatch but he'd rather
not do the work since he's working on Potlatch 2. Changing this is
easy even if you're not familiar with Potlatch, you just have to
change all the calls to the iText(): remove the first parameter and
split it ont a YAML file.

If you (or someone else) interested in seeing Potlatch on
Translatewiki solving that bug is the first step towards doing that.
The second one is hacking an importer/exporter for Potlatch's YAML
format for Translatewiki. That's easy though, it's just a matter of
reusing the existing YAML code without all the complexities we had to
deal with for supporting applications using Rails' i18n framework.