[Mediawiki-i18n] [Translators-l] [Wikitech-l] An update on localisation in MediaWiki

Anders Wegge Jakobsen wegge at wegge.dk
Mon Feb 18 11:25:58 UTC 2008

"Siebrand Mazeland" <s.mazeland at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Contrary to your belief I think you I are still quite angry at
> something that happended or something that someone did or wrote. I
> have problem identifying what it is exactly, which makes it hard to
> address. I find few of the statements you made below to be true.

 Yes, I'm still angry about some of the comments. I will be for
eternity. But since that won't change, just forget it. Neither you,
nor Niklas is to be blamed for someone else making flippant remarks.

> Can you let us know what you would need to be satisfied, or in your
> eyes be properly credited for everything you have done for the
> Danish translation? Your current choice of debate does not strike me
> as solution driven, which is something I personally very much
> prefer.

 The reason I may seem un-constructive, is the simple fact that while
I'm able to point out the problems as I see them, I have no idea how
to solve them. If we leave my ego out of the equation for the moment,
the main issue is that at some of the interface messages will be
completely unknown and opaque to the translators. The obvious solution
to that is instrumenting the code, so that any message can be seen in
its context. That is going to take quite a lot of time, and not
something I think will happen right away.

 More realistic, would be crafting a set of more or less static pages,
that displays all of the messages in the contexts they are used. That
will ba a game of constant catchup, but at least it will be easier
than to change the entire codebase to include a demo feature of sorts.

--
// Wegge
<http://geowiki.wegge.dk/wiki/Forside> - Alt om geocaching

believed to be clean.