[Mediawiki-i18n] Translating extensionsI'vewritten...forthcoming changes

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 02:32:00 UTC 2006

Hoi,
The needs that I formulated are abundantly clear. We need an environment
where people can translate with a minimum of fuss. Betawiki provides
this, Subversion does not. There are 250 languages and many of them do
not have proper localisations. I have asked Nikerabbit to modularise the
software needed (I repeat myself here) and he indicated his willingness
to do this.

Subversion may be quite simple but there are 250 languages minus English
that need translation. Given how many of the localisation are done, in
situ, one person learning Subversion does not solve the issue. I am not
alone at this, there are more translators unwilling to do this or even
unaware of the existence of Subversion.

I am not upset by your suggestion that I have to learn Subversion, the
point is the Betawiki functionality is superior because it is easier to
learn . I have known about Subversion for a long time, it is however not
about me. It is about applying an *existing solution for its problem*
and this should not be a problem. It is about translators doing their
work once and, making sure it counts. Berto is a professional
translator, he has translated the Piemontese interface. People with this
ability are rare and it is because of what people like Berto or Sabine
mean to their project that it is of extreme importance to make sure that
they continue to do what they do best and what they do for free as well.
When we are going to localise the languages that we have not touched
yet, you will find that their ability to learn Subversion will become
even more problematic. BetaWiki has the benefit of making use of the
MediaWiki environment, the people who start a new project have enough
problems as it is learning MediaWiki, having to learn Subversion as well
is just too much.

FYI, "ordinary" translators like Berto and Sabine are highly qualified
professionals. We need to involve more like them not less.

Thanks,
    GerardM