[Wikiur-l] [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimania 2012 - scholarship applications, Deadline : 16 Feb 2012

Tinu Cherian (Wikimedia India) tinucherian at wikimedia.in
Tue Jan 31 11:06:21 UTC 2012

Cross-posting to other lists. Ignore this if you have already seen it on
another mailing list.

Hi all,
         Wikimania is the annual international conference of Wikimedians
, jointly hosted by the local team ( usually local chapter) and the
Wikimedia Foundation.

The previous conferences were held in Frankfurt, Germany (2005), Boston,
USA (2006), Taipei, Taiwan (2007), Alexandria, Egypt (2008), Buenos
Aires, Argentina (2009), Gdan'sk, Poland (2010), and Haifa, Israel (2011).

This year, it is to be held in Washington DC, United States of America,
on July 12-14 , 2012. http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
<http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>

I have attended the Wikimanias in Gdansk and Haifa, along with several
other Wikipedians from India.

http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Wikimania2011
<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Wikimania2011>

I highly recommend everyone to apply and attend Wikimania !

Like every year, The Wikimedia Foundation is offering a limited number
of scholarships to offset the cost of select individuals' attendance at
Wikimania.

Both full and partial scholarships are available for Wikimania 2012:
     Full scholarships will award round trip travel, dorms
accommodations and registration.
     Partial scholarships will subsidize up to 300EUR of travel expenses.

Scholarship recipients have to bear themselves the additional costs of
taxis, visa & travel agent charges etc.

More Information : http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships
<http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships>
Apply here : https://secure.wikidc.org/wm/schols/
<https://secure.wikidc.org/wm/schols/>
Deadline : *16 Feb 2012*

Around 30 % of the scholarship are allocated to Asia & Pacific, so there
are more chances of scholarship applications from India to be selected. :)

Please note that the selection is mostly based on the merit of the
applications.
One of the common mistakes that Wikimedians in India make is that we
aren't enough vocal of what we do. So please do write in detail about
your Wikimedia activities.

Please feel free to forward this to various language and city mailing
lists and encourage other Wikimedians to apply.

All the best wishes!

Regards
Tinu Cherian