[Wikipedia-PA] [A2K]: The Access to Knowledge - Bulletin - February '13

noopur noopur at cis-india.org
Mon Mar 11 13:30:01 UTC 2013

Dear all,

Correction: There is a mistake in the newsletter in the
Events Organized section. The Creative Commons event in Bangalore was
not organized by A2K team. It was organized by members of the Wikimedia
India Chapter and A2K team members, Nitika and Subhashish attended it
and helped with documentation only.

Apologies for the error. We are
working to fix it in the main newsletter as well.

Thank you,

Noopur

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:18:39 +0500, noopur wrote:

> Dear all,

Here is the A2K newsletter for the month of February, 2013.

Wikimedia Foundation, beginning from September 1, 2012, awarded the
Centre for Internet & Society (CIS) a two-year grant of INR 26,000,000
to support and develop free knowledge in India. Consequently, Wikimedia
Foundation's India Program became the Access to Knowledge (A2K) program
[1] of CIS. In the second issue of our newsletter for 2013, we are glad
to introduce you to our new programme officer, Dr. U.B. Pavanaja [2].
The A2K team [3] consists of four members based in Delhi: T. Vishnu
Vardhan [4], Nitika Tandon [5], Subhashish Panigrahi [6] and Noopur
Raval [7], and one new team member Dr. U.B. Pavanaja [8] who works from
Bangalore office. Archives of our newsletters are here [9].

Wikipedians from various communities can request for outreach programs,
technical bugs, logistics-merchandize and media, public relations and
communications at http://bit.ly/TOcXId [10].

> # New Team Member
>

> * Dr. U.B. Pavanaja [11] joined the A2K team as Programme Officer,
India Language Initiatives on March 4, 2013. Dr. Pavanaja holds a
Master's degree from Mysore University and Ph.D. from Mumbai University.
He was a scientist at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, for about
15 years. He is one of the oldest editors of Kannada Wikipedia. He has
to his credit many firsts, viz., first Kannada website, first Kannada
online magazine, first Indian language (Kannada) website to receive
Golden Web Award, first Indian language (Kannada) editor for Palm OS,
first Indian language (Kannada) editor for WinCE device (HP Jornado
720), first Indian language version (Kannada) of universally popular
Logo (programming language for children) software, etc. His Kannada logo
won the Manthan Award for the year 2006. He was a member of the
technical advisory committee setup by the Govt. of Karnataka for
Standardization of Kannada on Computers (2000). He is also a member of
the Kannada Software Committee of Govt. of Karnataka (2008-current).

> # Events Organised by CIS
>
> * Creative Commons comes to India
[12] (Chitrakala Parishad, Bangalore, February 1, 2013). Meetings were
held in Pune and Bangalore. The Access to Knowledge team participated in
two meetings organized in Bangalore.
> * Knowledge Sharing through GLAM
at Bangalore [13](Karnataka Chitrakala Parishad, Kumara Krupa Road,
Bangalore, February 25, 2013). Dr. U.B. Pavanaja, Nitika Tandon and
Subhashish Panigrahi participated in the event.
> * Fifty-fourth
Bangalore Wikimedia Meet-up at IIM, Bangalore [14] (co-organized with
Radhakrishna Arvapally, Special Interest Group, Solutions IQ and
Wikimedia India Chapter, Indian Institute of Management, February 25,
2013). Vishnu Vardhan gave a talk on accessibility and knowledge. Noopur
Raval participated in the event.

> # Event Participated
>
> *
GNUnify 2013 [15] (organized by Pune Linux/Unix User Group and Symbiosis
Institute of Computer Studies & Research, Pune, February 15 - 17, 2013).
Subhashish Panigrahi participated in the event.

> # Education Program

> * Odia Wikipedia Community Brings Wikipedia Education Program to
IIMC, Dhenkanal [16] (by Subhashish Panigrahi, February 28, 2013).

# Event Reports
> CIS organised one Wiki workshop in the month of
February 2013, and also brings you the report from an event organised in
the month of January:

> * Celebrating Odia Wikipedia's Ninth
Anniversary [17] (organized by the Odia Wiki Community with support from
CIS and Academy for Media Learning, January 29, 2013, Bhubaneswar). Few
glimpses of the event are available as an audio podcast.
> * Digital
Literacy Workshop at Department of Arts, Delhi University [18] (by
Nitika Tandon, February 5, 2013).

> # Media Coverage
>
> * ଓଡ଼ିଆ
ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆର ନ‌ବମ ଜନ୍ମତିଥି ଅବସରରେ କର୍ମଶାଳା: ଇମିଡ଼ିଆରେ ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଭାଷାର ପ୍ର‌ୟୋଗ
[19] (Odishan.com, February 4, 2013).
> * ସମ୍ବାଦ:_ _ଲିପି ବ୍ୟାକରଣ ଓ ମାନକ
ଭାଷାର ପ୍ରୟୋଗ ଜରୁରୀ [20]. (Sambad, February, 2013).
> * Odisha: Workshop
organized on 9th Anniversary of Odia language: Application of Odia
language in e-media [21] (e India Bureau, March 2, 2013).
> * Odia
Wikipedia's 9th anniversary [22] (fullOrissa News, February 13, 2013).

* Odisha: Workshop organized on 9th Anniversary of Odia language:
Application of Odia language in e-media [23] (India Education Diary.com,
March 2, 2013). Subhashish Panigrahi is quoted.
> * Odia language
workshop organized on 9th Anniversary of Odia Wikipedia: Application of
Odia language in e-media [24] (Odishaviews.com, February 5, 2013).
Subhashish Panigrahi is quoted.

> # Ongoing Events
>
> * Wikipedia
Workshop @ BITS Goa [25] (BITS Pilani K K Birla Goa Campus, March 7,
2013, 5.30 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.).
> * A Wikipedia Editing Workshop in Goa
[26] (Nirmala Institute of Education, Goa, March 8, 2013, 3 p.m. to 5
p.m.).

> # Announcement
>
> * Sanskrit Wikiquote -- Now Available
[27]!: The Access to Knowledge team at CIS is happy to announce the
availability of Sanskrit Wikiquote. Shiju Alex, an ex-team member played
an active role in bringing this out. For more info see
http://bit.ly/Y9OY9R [28].

> *About CIS [29]*
> CIS was registered
as a society in Bangalore in 2008. As an independent, non-profit
research organisation, it runs different policy research programmes such
as Accessibility, Access to Knowledge, Openness, Internet Governance,
and Telecom. The policy research programmes have resulted in outputs
such as the e-Accessibility Policy Handbook for Persons with
Disabilities [30] with ITU and G3ict, and Digital Alternatives with a
Cause? [31], Thinkathon Position Papers [32] and the Digital Natives
with a Cause? Report [33] with Hivos, etc. We have conducted policy
research for the Ministry of Communications & Information Technology,
Ministry of Human Resource Development, Ministry of Personnel, Public
Grievances and Pensions, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,
etc., on WIPO Treaties [34], Copyright Bill [35], NIA Bill [36], etc.

> CIS is accredited as an observer at WIPO. CIS staff participates in
the Standing Committee for Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR) meetings
regularly held in Geneva, and participate in the discussions and
comments on them from a public interest perspective. Our Policy
Director, Nirmita Narasimhan won the National Award for Empowerment of
Persons with Disabilities [37] from the Government of India and also
received the NIVH Excellence Award [38].

> *Follow us elsewhere*
>

> * Get short, timely messages from us on Twitter [39]
> * Join the CIS
group on Facebook [40]
> * Visit us at http://cis-india.org [41]

*Support Us*
> Please help us defend consumer / citizen rights on the
Internet! Write a cheque in favour of 'The Centre for Internet and
Society' and mail it to us at No. 194, 2nd 'C' Cross, Domlur, 2nd Stage,
Bengaluru - 5600 71.

> *Request for Collaboration*
> We invite
researchers, practitioners, and theoreticians, both organisationally and
as individuals, to collaboratively engage with Internet and society and
improve our understanding of this new field. To discuss the research
collaborations, write to Sunil Abraham, Executive Director, at
sunil at cis-india.org [42] or Nishant Shah, Director - Research, at
nishant at cis-india.org [43]

> _CIS is grateful to its donors,
Wikimedia Foundation, Ford Foundation, Privacy International, UK, Hans
Foundation and the Kusuma Trust which was founded by Anurag Dikshit and
Soma Pujari, philanthropists of Indian origin, for its core funding and
support for most of its projects._

> Thank you,
>
> Noopur Raval
__