[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM photos are deleted on Commons

Alexander Tsirlin altsirlin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:45:57 UTC 2016

Dear Nahid,

> I'm sure you've put numerous effort and hard works on the WLM but
> calling other community members "freaks and assholes" just because
> they disagree with you is not a good idea.  And certainly not a polite
> way to approach others.

Sorry, but I have no other words for people who systematically undermine
our work and spread lies about us and our activities.

> In my understanding, you want problematic FoP  images uploaded on
> commons as part of WLM during Sept and then you & other organizers
> will move the images to local projects under fair use, right? If so,
> while this is a good and reasonable idea but it gives the impression
> that Commons community is well aware of the violations and
> intentionally doing it even though just for a month.
If the Commons community is a responsible community, it will know that
all such images should be at least reviewed, and this review takes time.
I have quoted the deletion request from last year:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Files_in_Category:Images_for_transfer_from_WLM-2015_in_Russia
where photos of 18th-century monuments were going to be deleted. Is that
the way you want to proceed?

The responsible approach to this problem is that the no-FOP images are
sorted and, when possible, transferred to other projects, so that no
useful content is lost. I don't see how this responsible approach can be
considered as an "intentional copyright violation", perhaps only in the
eyes of those freaks and assholes whom I already mentioned.

If you want to speed up the review and transfer process, please, come
and help us with that. Unsurprisingly, no Commons users has ever
assisted us in this work.

I would also like to remind you that there are about 1900 no-FOP images
from the year 2015. The fact that these images are still on Commons and
nobody bothered to delete them, whereas images from 2016 face imminent
deletion, makes me believe that some people on Commons deliberately act
against WLM, in particular WLM-Russia. This is the main message of my
e-mail.

> In another part of your mail you've mentioned that  "From technical
> point of view, it is difficult to separate no-FOP monuments from the
> rest of the monuments, because Commons follows a very strict policy
> about no-FOP images. " In this case,  I think it's best to open a
> request for comment on commons to sort out the clear defination of the
> Russian law regarding FoP.
I have neither time nor intention for doing that. Commons has the
so-called "Precautionary principle" that can be used to justify the
deletion of any file and that is sometimes used for exactly this
purpose. As long as Commons works this way, transferring files to other
projects is a more viable approach.

Sincerely,
Alexander