[Wiki Loves Monuments] Pulled the plug on ErfgoedBot

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 20:10:01 UTC 2015

Interesting approach, Jonathan and I like it! I totally agree that a big
part of the problem is that it is invisible to most users (and even most
editors of most projects). Having the files be searchable on a Wikimedia
website would definitely help. The reason why one can't use the files found
on such a website for Wikimedia projects must be very easy to understand
though, or we will just end up confusing people.

We talked a bit in the past also about hosting images with URAA-restored
copyright in Canada, because the rule-of-the-shorter-term is still not
something most people understand. The whole problem about files being on
the English Wikipedia that can't be used anywhere else remains extremely
annoying. Just making a whole NC area would be good. The fact that no one
feels the pain of missing images they can't see, makes this whole problem
very difficult to discuss and solve, so I agree that making the files
visible would be nice. It would also be a nice easy way to ask
rightsholders for permission, because you could just send them a link. Now
there is just nothing to see.