[Wiki Loves Monuments] Calendars

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Mon Sep 24 09:59:42 UTC 2012

Hi all,

responding to several points at once:

* For the license stuff: I suggest to just take the graphical CC BY-SA logo
that Creative Commons provides, and show that at the front page in a
corner.

* Let me just say 'no' to translating everything into all languages. That
is simply a journey I refuse to go onto. It would require a huge investment
of time from both translators and the coordinators. Lets do the thing that
worked well last year: short description in both the local language of the
monument and in English. (with exceptions for complicated regions adding
another language). Perfection is the enemy of progress: we're on a very
tight time schedule once we get to the jury results. We don't have any
resources to hunt after people, and any compromise is going to have
disadvantages too. If/when we do an online exhibition we could/should do
this though.

* For those that really really like, we have a few 2012 calendars left in
the WMNL office. I'm sure if you give a proper donation, you can get a few
;-) (contact Sandra Rientjes for that). For 2013 I think Barbara will come
later with a more detailed update on what is possible and what isn't. This
was still under discussion - the publisher did consider providing calendars
for public sale. I'm not sure if the WMF is going to order calendars - but
I suggest you contact them directly if you want to make that happen.

* Providing URL's to the original file is not required. What I can imagine
is that the file description in the last page contains the file names - but
then that is also barely usable (how well are you able to copy the hebrew
characters?). If you want to reuse the images, just go to the
Wikilovesmonuments website or Wikimedia Commons - both will contain a full
overview of all winning pictures. Lets not make things more complicated
than necessary. It is not a legal requirement, and lets not fool ourselves:
anyone with a little bit of google experience can type 'wiki loves
monuments winners' into google and will find them.

* On QR codes: I know some people really fancy them... personally I think
that they wouldn't really look well in the existing designs at least on the
photo pages. Again: lets not make the process more complicated (these codes
need to be created, pages can't be moved, weird characters etc. - all
potential errors and problems giving me a headache). People can find the
page with the winning pictures quite easily. If we add everything we *can*
add, it will be overkill.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. While some of it may not be implementable,
it is still appreciated.

Best,

Lodewijk