[Wiki Loves Monuments] Calendars

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 21:56:40 UTC 2012

On 23/09/12 23:07, Tomasz W. Kozłowski wrote:
> I'm not saying "no" to descriptions in English, but this /is/ a
> problem, and we will not be able to translate them into the 37
> languages used in WLM countries, especially due to technical and
> financial reasons. If you'd prefer to have the descriptions below the
> photos, I'll make sure to have them in a bigger font than last year
> :-))

Why not? We have people from all those countries. It wouldn't be hard
that each local team translates the caption of 12 photos to the local
language.
It would be nice to have all the local winners translated, but
translating the captions of 340 photos may be too much. :)

It's strange, I expected that given the overlap of some languages we
would have less languages than countries, not more.

> I am not sure whether adding a link to a winning photo would be useful
> at all, especially with long filenames or filenames written in
> non-Latin alphabets (or even in Latin alphabets in countries which use
> different ones); just imagine how long would typing those from your
> keyboard take!

Yes, it could be painful, but providing access to the original files is
the only way to allow properly reuse of the photos.

An option would be to link to a central page instead of each of the
images. «You can view and download the design of this calendar and each
of the individual photos at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012_calendar
»

> 3. You cannot buy a copy of the 2012 calendars (I'm quite sure there
> are no spare copies left at all), and I haven't heard about any plans
> of selling the 2013s to the public. You'd be able to buy (or get)
> those from a local chapter if they order more than they really need.

In summary, ask your local chapter to buy N more calendars for you. :)