[Wiki Loves Monuments] Central notice banner

Tomasz W. Kozłowski odder.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 21:09:01 UTC 2012

Hi Karthik,
thanks for the message.

Indeed I was collecting some ideas for banners in August, but it
didn't work out in the end. However, we have been using some different
banners for a few countries:
#1: United States -- they are using a totally different phrase from
the rest of the world due to the heritage terminology differences;
#2: the Netherlands -- for a local Wiki Takes Gouda event and the
Openmonumentendag series of events;
#3: Israel -- advertising tours organised by Wikimedia Israel.

For the rest of the countries, we have been using the general banners,
and I do not think it's /that/ boring for our visitors; I check our
page views statistics every day (and log my actions at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Odder/CentralNotice_log>), and
this week we haven't received less than 190k per day - which isn't
that bad, after all.

I plan to start the record banners (with the slogan "Participate in
the world's largest photo competition and help improve Wikipedia!") as
soon as we break 168,000 pictures uploaded in the competition -- which
is going to happen in about 4-5 days, as far as I see.

I am gathering translations of the slogan at
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012/CentralNotice#Record_banner>
-- and by the way, we are still missing translations into Malayalam
and Telugu :-))

Thanks,
--
Tomasz W. Kozłowski