[Wiki Loves Monuments] Mobile site banner to promote the WLM App

Philip Chang pchang at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 14 18:00:29 UTC 2012

Dear WLM Members,

As of yesterday, a banner promoting the WLM Android App has appeared on all
pages of the WIkipedia mobile site and the sister projects, on Android
devices only. This banner can be closed easily by the user, and won't
appear again until the user clears the data of his/her browser.

To summarize, the banner:

- appears on the mobile site only
- appears on Android devices only
- appears on all pages in all languages
- can be closed easily and persistently
- is being localized
- links to the app on Google Play

We are tracking downloads of the app to see what impact this makes.

To all of you who considered putting the banner on your WIkipedia main
page, this removes the need for making the manual change. I believe there
were no cases where this was actually done, but if it was, the banner would
appear twice on the main page, so the manual version can be removed.

Thank you for your support.

Phil

--
Phil Inje Chang