[Wiki Loves Monuments] open source software for running the competition

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:33:16 UTC 2012

On 14/09/12 11:37, Mike Dupont wrote:
> Well, For me the goal is to collect media about the area under a
> commons license. I am not interested in teaching people to read,
> because most of them dont. there is just too much text on commons for
> people to read, they dont understand or have the patience.  It is not
> the commons suck, it is just at too high a level for the users that I
> am dealing with. We have tried to get translators, it is just too much
> for them.
>
> we can discuss this later, as I said I dont have time pressure, i am
> working on the apis right now, and i just wanted to know if anyone has
> a good upload solution.

Have you taken a look at the Upload Campaigns we are using for WLM?
Eg. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:UploadWizard?campaign=wlm-es

You will find a much nicer flow.

> I tried to get people to upload to commons at our bootcamp
> http://kosovoinnovations.org/yap/digital-bootcamp and it failed, we
> had IP blocking of new users, we had the uploader failing, it was
> horrible and a waste of time.

You can request in advance an higher account creation limit if you are
going to host a workshop. If you have a sysop there (which can be quite
useful), they can also bypass it.

> Ok, did you try running a workshop with 20 people in kosovo over a
> slow internet connection?
> for single people it is fine maybe, but we need to have a fast local
> server. I am looking to get hosting on the local backbone.

If you want to get many people to upload photos (eg. the results of
doing a Wiki Takes) and you have just a small upstream bandwidth, I'd
just collect them in a single system (eg. one folder per participant)
and have the organization upload them later.