[Wiki Loves Monuments] Sorting out the images: Please help!

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Tue Sep 11 21:19:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:09:56 +0200, Maarten Dammers wrote:
> All the images should be categorized at Commons. With about 10.000
> images coming in each day that's not really possible for humans to
> keep up with. I improved the categorization bots we used the last two
> years and it now works on (almost) every country that has unique
> identifiers. This is documented at
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Monuments_database/Categorization
> . Bots can only do so much so please take a look at
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Monuments_database/Categorization#How_can_I_help.3F
> to see how you can help out.
>
> Maarten

What is currently the situation with Russia? From what I know there are
no lists, and I am just categorizing images by hands
[http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:RecentChangesLinked/Category:Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012_in_Russia],
doing roughly a hundred per day and creating missing categories. The
organizers do not participate in any on-wiki discussions, and do not
disclose any info on their plans, but at some point they declared they
have perfect contact and understanding with the international team. Do
you know whether there are any Russian lists somewhere (except for
Commons and the last year lists on ru.wp) or are they going to be
imminently created? If the work I am doing now is planned to be done by
bot soon I would rather drop it and do smth more useful.

Cheers
Yaroslav